I suggest you ...

Automatic OpenCart update mechanism

A WordPress-like one-click update from Dashboard would make OpenCart much more popular, and keep more stores relatively up-to-date.

Naturally, this should come with compatibility check, fault-detection and rollback.

I think Prestashop has a feature like this.

387 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    OC2PS shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  · 

Really it needs to be done. As it is very tough to update the version. As all of the data may loss and so much risk involved. Why opencart provides a Update software whenever releases a new version.

• Dennis Buijs commented  · 

This would be very nice to have, but as Ernie already said, the vqmod's will be the problem.

May be first start with a mechnism to provide update information in OpenCart. When an extension have a newer version available for the current OpenCart version, than this can be made visible. It would be nice to press a button and download and update the extension. Now i must manually check if there are updates of my free and bougth extensions.

• Ernie commented  · 

this is an impossible Task, I assume, most Sites would not longer function, due to mismatching VqMod's.

• Steven commented  · 

Some stores it would work really well but others with lots of customisation would be a nightmare. Way too many things could go wrong best leaving this to developers who prefer to do this manually.

Lost count of the amount of times we have recieved emails from clients saying how they have tried to upgrade thier wordpress blog themself but ended up breaking the site and no easy way to go back.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I've done too much work on 2.0.2.0 to start again - this is 100 million % needed

• Anonymous commented  · 

Joomla and Loaded 7 have one-click updates built-in and the process seems to work well in both cases. This should be a core feature of OpenCart.

• Shawn commented  · 

The current process to upgrade OpenCart in 2.0.x is too complex, but it is an extremely crucial and vital component for any e-commerce platform to be successful. If all the hard work goes into creating the bug fixes, improvements, and new implementations, then there should be a quick and easy way to upgrade your OpenCart and receive them.

• Blane Ebersold commented  · 

OpenCart is the only software I know of that doesn't support it's own version updates. Updating across major versions is fraught with risks and takes a lot of hard work and testing to get right. It is also extremely important to keeping existing customers assured that they are safe in moving to the next version. It's something that should be done my the core development team and not farmed out to independent extension coders who may not understand the nuances of the update changes. I know it takes time and money to do this, so I think OpenCart should consider charging for major version updates then make the update process much less painful.

• dd commented  · 

Great suggestion, and much needed feature ASAP. Wordpress has done a great job with easy upgrades and plugin/extension management. Maybe Opencart can do something similar.

Feedback and Knowledge Base